Everyone experiences impacted teeth differently. Many of us get impacted teeth during adolescence. For most people, they erupt with no fuss or muss, while others may have to deal with numerous problems associated with impacted wisdom teeth.If the dentist reveals an impacted tooth, it indicates that the tooth cannot push through the gum. There is…
Determining the Best Way to Replace Missing Teeth
When you are looking to replace missing teeth, there are three main prosthetics that are often recommended by dentists: dentures, bridges and implants. These are tested-and-proven dental devices that can be used to restore a patient's smile and restore the lost function of missing teeth.
Tired of living with missing teeth? Let us take a look at the benefits and disadvantages of these teeth replacement options. Knowing the differences between these prosthetics makes it easier for patients to decide which works best for them.
Popular ways to replace missing teeth
1. Traditional dentures
These are arguably the most common dental prosthetic when it comes to replacing lost teeth. The low price tags compared to the alternatives are one reason, and some people also opt for dentures because getting them installed does not involve any invasive treatments or surgeries.
When a patient decides on dentures, the dentist takes an impression of the person's mouth. These dimensions are then sent to a lab where customized dentures are made for that particular person. Dentures can be easily inserted and removed.
- Help restore the appearance of the patient's smile
- Prevent the remaining teeth from moving toward the gap in the wearer's smile in an attempt to close it
- Restore the function of the missing teeth, allowing the patient to chew and speak properly
- Are the most economical solution when it comes to replacing most of a person's natural teeth
- Have a tendency to constantly shift in the patient's mouth; this can make them rather uncomfortable at times
- Do not inhibit the jawbone tissue loss that occurs when teeth are missing
- Come with a rigorous cleaning routine that can add an extra 10 minutes to the time the wearer spends on dental hygiene
- Are often held in place with dental adhesives, which may have an unpleasant taste
2. Dental bridges
Patients dealing with an unsightly gap in their teeth can have it taken care of with a bridge. This device consists of fake teeth that serve as a bridge between the two teeth closest to the gap on both sides. The bridge restores the function of the missing teeth, allowing the wearer to chew foods and speak just like they did before losing any teeth.
- Look natural
- Take less time than getting implants
- Are not as difficult to maintain as dentures
- Are more affordable than implants
- Prevent teeth from shifting
- Need to be replaced every seven years
- Anchor teeth may need to be filed down during installation
- Do not adequately address bone tissue loss
Implants serve as a replacement for natural teeth and their roots. These are the preferred option when it is time to replace missing teeth. During the installation, a metal rod is inserted into the patient's jaw, and a crown is placed on it once fully fused with the surrounding bone tissue.
- Look and feel like natural teeth
- Prevent bone tissue loss and alignment issues
- Maintenance is no different than taking care of real teeth
- Can last a lifetime with good oral care
- More expensive than other alternatives
- Installation requires surgery
Contact one of our dentists to learn more about teeth replacement options.
Replace your missing teeth today!
Request a dental appointment here: https://www.texasstarsmiles.com or call Texas Star Smiles & FastBraces at (254) 237-1342 for an appointment in our Killeen dental office.
A variety of orthodontics can help to address issues with jaw alignment as well as tooth spacing and placement. There are many reasons people may consider orthodontic treatment. Potential benefits include improving smiles and self-esteem and enhancing oral health. While not everyone is born with perfect and straight teeth, almost anyone can pursue orthodontic treatment.…
Most people want a beautiful smile, and many turn to orthodontics for the solution. This field of dentistry focuses on correcting teeth and jaw placement to provide patients with straighter smiles. If smiling makes someone feel uncomfortable because of crooked or otherwise misaligned teeth, visiting an orthodontist may be in order.Before going to an appointment,…
When a tooth is missing, a dental implant remains one of the most effective options for replacing the tooth. Dental implants offer patients beautiful, natural-looking and fully-functional teeth that are comparable to natural teeth.However, patients must take care of their new teeth and existing teeth to prevent future issues. The dentist will provide the necessary…